Friday, May 2, 2008

Tornada [sic]

"Take your head around the world
See what you get, from your mind
Write your soul down word for word
See who's your friend and who is kind
Well, it's almost like a disease
And I know soon you will be
Over the lies
You'll be strong
You'll be rich in love
and you will carry on
No you won't be mine..."

Last night was crazy. I'll start from the beginning. I asked Jennifer when she got home from work if she wanted to go for a drive and get some ice cream with the Bella. She said sure and then we sat on the couch a little longer... she said "do you want to go soon? Because it's going to rain..."

So we left and we had to go down to Northtowne to get gas, and I was going to surprise her by taking her to Dairy Queen. So we're in the car for just a little bit and Bella won't stop whining!!!! She was being so obnoxious. She loves rides, so I had no idea why she was crying...

So we get gas and ice cream and then I head out on the drive. When we were down in Westport we stopped for some fries at Sonic (Nice healthy dinner, eh?) and Bella was still crying, so I decided to head home.

On our way back home she was crying harder and it started to rain. When we got back home Jennifer ran upstaires to take the Bella inside because she was being a brat and get the movies we had rented.

We took them back (like 5 minutes away) and as she's coming out from dropping off the movies, the sirens go off.

Now, we live on the 3rd floor of a shitty apartment and we don't have a basement or any secure place to go when there's a tornado. So our plan has always been, if the sirens go off, we go down to the laundry mat and from there if we need to, go into Quik Trip to their freezers.

So I'm speeding home because I don't have my baby and we storm upstaires and start grabbing everything. Cell phone chargers, laptop, I grabbed all my NSYNC photos and my stack of "yes" lyrics and in less than a minute we were out the door.

We head down to the laundry mat (just down the street) and when we get there Jenn's watching the TV and I went to the bathroom. It was while I was peeing staring at Bella in her leopard print dog bag just staring at me back that I realized she had been bothered by the tornado all day. She knew it was coming for hours and she was trying to tell us.

She's a good dog.

So I come out of the bathroom and Jenn tells me that Metro North Mall is in the basement and I asked her if we could just go up there and so then we pack up everything and go up to the mall.

When we get there all of the stores are closed and there's a few people just chilling around and so we sit by the tornado shelter. We're there ten minutes and then they give the all clear.

We went home and watched this past weeks Desperate Housewives and Samantha Who? Jennifer went to bed around 11 and I think it was around 2 that I tried to go to sleep. I lit a candle and had my bedroom window open. I was just thinking... and then all the sudden rain started shooting into my bedroom window! I was taken aback and it took me a second to get to the window. I slammed it shut and then ran to the living room to make sure the sliding door was closed.

It was when I was staring outside at the heavy rain and constant lightning (literally) that the lights flickered out. They soon came back on to then go off for good. The winds were making the trees lean sideways and then out on my patio, our chairs started to levitate.

I screamed and got Jennifer. (Even though she had to be up in an hour...) She went to look at it too and then she tried to get me to go to bed... I made her sleep with me for the rest of the night. I checked the weather on my phone and it was just a tornado watch, but it was until 8a... I tried to stay awake, but I ended up falling asleep.

Woke up this morning, the lights were back on and it was a lot cooler today. The clouds look eerie, however and it's still very windy.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weather/story?id=4773373

http://www.kmbc.com/weather/16130580/detail.html - shows just how close last nights chair levitating "winds" were to me. North Oak is 2 streets away. I live about 2 blocks across at 69th/72nd.

"Tornado sirens did not sound. No tornado warnings were issued by the National
Weather Service. A team from the weather service will survey the damage to
determine whether a tornado is to blame for the damage."

Pic of the Day:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Close to me. I don't reckon just "winds" could do that.

xoxox

1 comment:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.