Friday, May 23, 2008

Gays VS Straights: The Real Debate

(I have the beginning of a migraine, so I'm going to try to make this quick. Plus I need to kill some time.)

I was lucky enough to be in California the day that they overturned the ban on gay marriage, and I was just having a lovely debate over at YouTube on the basics of gay marriage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yj2GOfMJQSg

Here's how it's gone:

apta216 (A):
akward....i think gay love is diffent then straight love...being gay is unaturel.its a evolved genitic flaw.some people are born with it.but love between a man in a women is like chemistry. being gay is not wrong, but they miss out on real love, they just know cuz they are gay.....get it. its like loving eating bolgina sandwiches everyday and not knowing how a steak tastes like.

heiress89 (H):There are many people who will disagree with you. Are you saying that because my Mom is in a relationship with a woman that she doesn't know what love is? My Mom has been with women and men and love is love. She loves differently than some people but she deserves the same rights as everyone. She should not be discriminated against because of who she is in love with. She can't help it, it's not "un natural" its just different than other people and some don't accept it. Kills me people think that.

A: everyone missed my point,when you think of evolution,survival of the fittest, gay people are not devoloping the human race,being gay is not wrong, but it is a flaw, from genitics. random. sinse man and a women must have sex to create new life, people of the opposite sex have stronger feelings for each other. if your not gay, how do you know what gays feel and how do gays no what st8 people feel. my reason and logic concludes, gay love is duller then st8 love.

H: first of all, how old are you? You are worthless at spelling. Secondly, you've never felt gay love, how do you know that it isn't more powerful than straight love? You will never know. Yes, we understand that it's something genetically that makes gay people gay, but to say that their love is duller? That's not right. LOVE IS LOVE. That's all there is. Straight, gay, everywhere in between, if you love someone, you love someone - and those people should all have the same rights.

A: i am 19. my brother is gay, i dont shun him.its like trying to arugue that dwarf are effeceint then normal people.dwarfs ,are not. the gay gene is a flaw.sceince says, you have to have sex with the opposite sex, gay love is like more like a strong freindship.the bodys are designed for sex, the penis is designed to go into the vagina to deposit sperm, and it is supposed to feel good, buttholes are not designed for weiners.and tounges are meant for tasteing food and talking.

H: How would your brother feel about you calling him "flawed" just because he's not like you? Just because someone is different than you doesn't mean that it's wrong, and just because they aren't having sex like a straight person doesn't mean that it's wrong. I wasn't saying you don't love your brother, but you clearly think there's something wrong with gay people. They aren't dwarfs, they don't have twisted spines, they're just gay. They're the same, just gay.

A: it is a flaw, its liking having the urge to eat poop.gay sex is nasty.i dont wanna put my wiener in a anis.wtf nastyi have good genes , for creating babies.i am not macho, i hate sports and i like fashion.but i dont have the gay gene flaw.i am not saying theynare wrongits just a flaw.i dont hate people , just because of a gene

H: You don't need to be so childish -- you're comparing gay people to eating poop, being a dwarf and having a twisted spine. How about comparing them to yourself. Stop saying that it's a "flaw" just because it's different from you. My Mother isn't flawed, your brother isn't flawed, they're perfect and beautiful and deserve the same rights that everyone else -- including dwarves -- have. That's the original debate here. And, if in fact it is a flaw, it's nothing like eating poop.

A: i am not for or against gays.gay people did not choose to be born gay.it is genitics.the proper human would desire sex from the opposite sex to create life, to carry the species.gays should not feel bad, but it is a genitic mistake. like somebody being born with a twisted spine, its not wrong, but it is not good for evoultion because that person could not hunt.

H: a "proper" human? Why is it that everyone makes gay people sound like they're a different species? People are people and it's not a "genetic MISTAKE" they're just different from you. Just because a gay couple can't naturally procreate doesn't mean that's a bad thing. I think the world is overpopulated to begin with, so why do we need couples who can create more children? We don't. They're not flawed or broken just because they're not like you.

Here's basically the point I was trying to make:

My Mama isn't flawed. Yes, I believe that being gay is predetermined into your DNA when you're a baby, but I don't believe it's a flaw, I believe it's like what color eyes or hair you will have... it's just what your sexual orientation will be. I actually hope that when I have few children that at least one of them will be gay. I think gay people are wonderful, they have this natural fire in them to achieve fairness in life.

Basically I have 2 points that I want to make here, I only have 2.

Gay people are no different than straight people, therefore they deserve the same rights.

and, being gay is not a "flaw" just because it's different.

There's no reason that just because my Mama was born different that she shouldn't be able to freely marry who she loves and have the same rights as I have.

If someone said that all people who had green eyes were "flawed" and that they weren't allowed to do WHATEVER... I would fight for it... maybe I don't want to do WHATEVER, but I want to be ABLE to do it if I want to do it. Does that make sense?

Gays are the minority, just like people with green eyes. So just because it's not the norm doesn't mean that it's wrong. My genetics decided that I would have green eyes just like they decided that my Mama was going to be gay.

There will be a day when my children will come to me and say "is it really true that gay people weren't allowed to get married when you were younger?" and I will tell them, "yes, but aren't you glad the world has evolved since I was young?"

Just like we look back now and can't believe that blacks were segregated from whites, that women weren't allowed to vote, it's ridiculous to say that gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

When people talk about how different gay people are from straight people I just can't help but think of all my gay friends, of my Mother and Pam... they're not DIFFERENT, they're still people, they still love -- the same love -- they still bleed and cry. Just because they love a way you're not used to, doesn't make them any different or wrong.

I understand that I used the word "different" in my debate with the tool box on youtube, but sometimes it's the only way to explain it... I mean their LOVE is different, because it's obviously same sex, not opposite -- but them as people aren't any different.

I'll fight for equality for EVERYONE until the day I die... Human is human, blood is blood, love is love.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

xoxox

2 comments:

Gemma said...

i couldnt agree more with you. U said it so well and spot on. My saying.. 'we all bleed the same, we all feel the same, we all breathe the same air' My cousin is Gay and getting married to her girlfreind and i cudnt be happier for her. Wether a person is gay or not, we all love the same right? you cant help ur feelings toward another human being, be it a man or a woman. Some of the most loving ppl i know are gay, way more than straight ppl. Either way, a person can make up their own minds about who they love and who they dont, wether it a man or a woman, It doesnt change them as a person inside....

Rae said...

AMEN. I couldn't agree more nor have said it better myself!!