Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'll Be The Melody, You Be My Drum

"She's so magic to me
Strangest things have happened
The way that you react to me
I wanna do something you can't imagine..."

I know I'm getting old... my knees and hips pop all the time. I have had knee issues for the longest time, but it's all getting worse lately. When I'm sitting cross legged my knee will get really tight and I haveeee to stretch it out. The other major concern with it is when I'm laying in bed it needs to be popped nearly constantly.

*worries* That's not good.

Last night we were supposed to do some drinking and more karaoking at Jasmine's but decided to forgo it and turn in early... I think we're going to do that tonight though. Jasmine came by earlier to ask if she could do a couple loads of laundry and expressed that she wanted us to come over and drink tonight and whatnot. :-D

*heavy sigh*

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and while I'm not actually sure where I wanna go with that I felt nearly compelled to tell you.

I've just been thinking so hard about what I want out of life... Unfortunately, most of that has to do with how people perceive me. I listed all those things in my blog the other day of what I want to be "when I grow up", and I really thought that somehow that might help me get closer to touching them.

I really want to be liked... loved... understood. I want to be somebody, but unfortunately you can't be somebody in someone's eyes unless you have a career. It's all defined by what you do. When making small talk, what do you say? "What's your name? What do you do for a living?" That's almost always the 2nd or 3rd question someone asks you... and sure they might not actually give a damn, but it's just what they define you by.

You job speaks levels about you.

"What do you do?"
"I work for McDonalds."
Translation [to them]: "I don't make much money and I don't have many career goals in life. I have never been to college."

"What do you do?"
"I'm a doctor."
Translation: "I make lots of money and I am probably better than you. I don't have time for this conversation."

"What do you do?"
"I'm a teacher."
Translation: "I care more about others than I do about myself and I look forward to shaping the young minds of America."

I've told people when I worked for McDonalds that I worked for McDonalds. I saw the cringe on their face. "Yeah... what do you do there?" Translation: "I feel really bad for you and I'm just trying to keep this conversation going."

When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a singer. 99% of them get that twinge in their voice that makes it go up a few notes to indicate their surprise. "Really?! Wow..." Then 70% of them respond back with this question: "Where do you sing?"

What the fuck?

The first couple times that I got that response I was taken aback and unprepared for an answer so, as usual, I pulled something out of my ass... Now I'm prepared.

"Um... *look at them like their stupid* Nowhere... I am/was signed to a record label and am currently recording/writing my album."

"Ohhhh..."

I guess I'm just not like some people and I don't really see the point of them asking that question. Anyhow... I understand that people are "defined" by their jobs, but... why?

I've been getting back into my eBaying again. haha. woo!

Well, I reckon I don't need to type a whole lot here...

Have a good night.

Pic:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Happy third birthday, Matilda! I hope you get [almost] everything you asked for, though I know one thing on your list that you can't have. It must be so hard to celebrate it without your Daddy. I know that he's thinking of you and watching over you on this fabulous day. The birthday's will get better, I promise. My first birthday without both my parents was also my third... Love and hugs.

xoxox

2 comments:

Gemma said...

aw happy 3rd matilda.

"where do u sing"? id have asked WHAT do u sing btw ;)

i love ur lil transplations. cos u can just tell by someones face if they impressed/unimpressed.

go name one for me LOL stay at home mum of 2 = bored haha

loves x x x

Anonymous said...

ur right its sad but true....i hate when ppl assume because i work for a law firm i want to be a parallegal or a lawyer..no!its a j-o-b! sweetie if i could get a better paycheck i would be somewhere else..lol