Sunday, January 17, 2010

Is That Duct Tape?!!?

"she said "I love you Daddy..."
I love you Rock 'n Roll..."

You know what? Tulsa was so epic that it doesn't deserve one icon. Though that icon says so much, it doesn't say nearly enough, so here are three other icons that fit Tulsa perfectly.



Let's begin.

First of all, I love that Willow came all the way out to Kansas City to take the trip with us to Tulsa. It *made* the trip. Twas epic. I forced her to watch some Justin Timberlake shit, we had more laughs than I think anyone in the history of the world has ever had and it was amazing.

The Monkeys show was January 11th and we left super freaking early for Tulsa on the night before. It's a 5 hour drive from Kansas City down there and I tried, tried, tried to stay awake as long as I could but ultimately, I napped in the car.

We got to the McDonalds that spans over the highway -- Jenn had always told me about it -- and she woke me up, "look, it's the McDonalds." I basically said. "Awesome. Let's pee here." She asked me if I wanted a "hashy" (hashbrown) and I said, "No. Tired." So we went pee and then I went back to the car and went to sleep.

I had some amazing dreams while sleeping in the car that day... somewhere they crossed over from fantasy, into the almost reality and back again into sleep. Amazing. :)

We got to Tulsa at nearly 9a and went into Ida Red's somewhere between 12/1...? When we walked in we were the first people there and actually got to help out with the people who worked there setting up their stuff and stuff. She asked us about the Monkeys, their music, what they were like live... what they were like as people... of course we told her all we could.

She was going to fetch some food for them and asked what they liked to eat. I said that Ben G liked sweets, but Jackson didn't care much for them so she should have something salty (err, you know... uh... not sweet) for him. Sure enough when the boys showed up, Ben came out with a Butterfinger in his mouth.

She said that the boys had asked for beer but the owner had vetoed the idea. So I turned to Jenn and Willow and told them we should buy the guys beer and keep it in our van so we could lure them in. (*wink*) They loved the idea and went to Quik Trip and bought the boys a 20 pack.

The boys came in not too much later, still before there were hella people there -- of course once the boys GOT there that's when everyone else did too... Within seconds of walking in Ben and Willow were talking. Jackson walked in and within seconds he was with the one he wanted to be with too -- the piano in the corner of Ida Red's. :) He was playing it beautifully.

Willow and Jenn went to fetch the beer from the car and they brought it to the boys, who were of course, fucking stoked to have beer. XD Jerad talked to Jenn a bit about Vegas... ... ...

So da da da... concert thingy started... twas good. I got video of the boys singing Junkie (errr, Jackson singing Junkie... Ben played the piano that was over in the corner. Twas adorable.)

They sang the Monkey Song... before which they asked if anyone knew of Spencer Bell. We all woo'd... of course I think the only ones who knew of Spencer were us three and Lisa... That kinda broke my heart but then Jackson said, "Google him, or ask one of these fine people about him." We shouted, "we love Spencer!" And Ben and Willow had a bracelet moment. :)

Johnson sounded INCREDIBLE during The Monkey Song this time. :) Very proud... at the end of the song I said again, "I LOVE YOU SPENCER BELL!" And Jackson kissed his thumb, crossed himself and looked upwards...

...and I also got video of them singing Keep Awake.

Ben and I had a laugh moment during Keep Awake. :) I did the knife movement for "a knife that's itching for your red blood..." and he smiled really big and pointed at me. At the end of the song the chick behind me goes, "so do you do weddings?" Jackson asked, "are you proposing? Cuz Jerad's already done a wedding... ...I'm looking for my first ex-wife, it's true..." and the look on Jerad and Johnson's face was PRICELESS. They were both in utter shock. I love it. Captured it on the vid. Epic. :) Ben G was just lauuuuuughing.

Then it was off to the autography thingy... we took up an insane amount of the boys time. It wasn't until later that I heard they cut it short and didn't even get to sign for everyone -- kinda felt bad about taking up so much of their time then... of course in the moment I was just happy to be spending time with them.

I gave them copies of the photos I have with each guy and asked them to sign them... I got an "I love U" from Jerad and a "much love!" from Jackson. :) Willow got a heart from Ben on her autograph and Jackson said to her, "that's serious business..." (hence one of the icons up there...)

I gave the boys their "tour survival kit" that I had planned since Nashville to give to them. Jerad and Jackson started going through it, naming off some of the things they liked. Jerad said they needed the Sharpies and the Germ-X wipes [for Ben's feet...] they both kept thanking me and then Jerad realized he was holding up the line and said, "what else is in there?" I told him there was water balloons, super glue and grow animals. (Amongst other things.) Jackson asked me what grow animals were and I told him they were the little things you put in water and they expand to grow. :) *shrugs* As Jerad was putting the bag down, thanking me again, Jackson looks up at me with these bright wide eyes and goes "is that Duct Tape?!" ((go look at the third icon up at the top of the post. XD)) I said "YES!" He said, "that's awesome!!!!!" ((yes, with that many exclamation points...)) and I said, "I KNEW you would love it." Because in all honesty when I got the duct tape, I knew that Jackson was going to be the one to hijack it.

Just like I got the Fender guitar picks thinking of Jerad... I got the grown animals thinking of Ben G... I got the Germ-X thinking of Johnson...

So right after the duct tape moment I got my picture with de boys again... The stupid "security guard" like, wouldn't let me any closer to Jerad... uhhh... I'm not going to hurt him. Swear.

I've, of course, compared the photos and Jackson is smiling wider in my photo here than in my last one. :)

So we leave the boys... "I'll see you later..." and head over to Cain's... not before we get lost forever on Jackson Av... Lisa said, "hey at least it's a good place to get lost." XD

Finally we get to Cain's. We hate their will call. Do me a favor -- go to Cain's. It's amazing... incredible... it's sooo wow... but DON'T get will call. Just, don't.

We get inside and *would* have had front row... if it wasn't for will call, but instead we're somewhere between the 2nd and third row--ish...

Opening act was pretty good... took me a second to get into them, but I really liked their sound. Willow said, "the opening act was... MEH. Sang about whales. Fuck them." (She *really* hates whales.)

We (us three and Lisa) were SOOO the only people who knew the words to most of their songs. There were some obnoxious bitches right behind us and all of us girls were ready to rip some hair out... I got some incredible photos from the show... check out some of them here.

During Sleeping Giants Jackson dug a blue lighter out of his back pocket and grinned at me... it was one of the lighters from their tour survival kit! :) He used it as a slide during the song and kept looking at me and smiling at me like, "yep, I'm using your lighter." (Photos of that on Facebook...)

The boys asked for their improv -- I suggested duct tape... my girls echoed my decision and Jerad chose...?

DUCT TAPE! XD

Twas a good and sexy song -- I got a video of it, however, youtube must think it's waay too awesome or something because it just won't let me load it for whatever reason. :( I'll eventually find a way around that or find somewhere else to host it. Will work something out.

After the show I ran up to Jerad as he was leaving (with the bottle of Jack from the stage...) and I said "JERAD!" He turned and smiled and I said "high five!" He high fived my hand and kinda grabbed it while I said, "great show tonight... I'll see you again soon." He smiled and ran off backstage.

The show was awesome, the energy was incredible -- especially for Jerad and Jackson being sick and feeling like ass. :( I felt soo bad for them, but then felt good that I had given them tea and cough drops. :) I think the Jack Daniels made them feel better... just sayin'...
It was the best Monkey show that I have seen so far. :) Annnnnnd... Jerad maaay have had something to do with us deciding to go to Las Vegas.


MONKEY! MONKEY! MONKEY!

3 comments:

Lisa Knox said...

I miss them so much already. your blog made me smile...and now that I'm done reading it...it makes me cry cuz it will be so long till April. Love ya

The Illiterate said...

Just a mini-rant: I'm glad you ladies had so much fun, and I'm freakin' pissed that I missed it! Which, of course, means that I now need to cyberstalk every photo that you post from this epic trip and live vicariously through that. Thank Monkeys that you're a fantastic photographer!

Genn said...

It IS DUCT TAPE!! *Excited grin*
And Superglue "It's good for our hands"
I swear they're so easy to please. I'd like to see the photos of what happened with both of those things, but something tells me I would spend days laughing.
Who knew that Duct Tape would wind up being the best and possibly sexiest gift ever?
Damn you're awesome. ;)