Friday, January 29, 2010

Dread, The Movie - Part Two


"I should be on a Greyhound...
I may be a wrench in the gears,
but it's just because I'm fearful..."

This is a continuation of the Dread blog that I posted in December after first seeing the film. You can find the first part of that by clicking on the link -- however, be forewarned that it includes MAJOR spoilers.

This post will contain much less spoilers since I already gave everything away *points* up there.

As you well know by now, tomorrow morning I leave for Las Vegas to see 100 Monkeys at the Hard Rock Cafe... I learned something about myself today, you know? What tends to happen is that something will "hit me" (as in I realize what's coming and I get super fucking stoked for it) and then the feeling will subside and I won't feel much anticipation or real excitement until moments before the big event.

Now as this happens, things tend to "hit me" early on, well before any of my friends and then I'm calm and cool as a cucumber as they're freaking out - I guess in the end this seems to work out well; they can help me, meanwhile I'm calm to help them.

Then once the event has arrived (I should be anxious tomorrow morning while heading to the airport but I don't believe anything will start to "hit me" again until we're either more than halfway in the air or have landed...) -- I have very little time to calm my nerves and freak out a bit. Say, for instance, Tulsa. I was fine, totally calm, I didn't really feel anything happening even so long as we were sitting in Ida Red's waiting for the boys to arrive. Suddenly everything hit me - HARD - and I had to throw up. I suspect the same thing is going to happen tomorrow.

[This is where I would enter a lil fun fact about me, throwing up and uh... you know... err, no you don't, cuz I didn't tell you -- but I can't tell you because this is a very, very public blog.]

So! (All of that had a point, I promise...) I went to see Dread in the theater.

It was only playing at one theater here in KC - the Legends 14 - I had never been there before, but apparently they made it Jodie-proof. Jennifer walked me to the theater, knowing that I would get lost and then she pointed me in the direction of Panera for when I got out of the movie -- I walked up to the doors and... wait... um... something's wrong here... there's no... door handles? How the hell do I get into the cinema if there's no door handles. *looks around confused* I started to call Jennifer when out of the corner of my eye, hidden, I saw the box office.

OH! Okay... apparently I had to buy a ticket first with the box office on the OUTSIDE instead of on the inside... okay... and then will there be door handles...?

So I walk up... "One for Dread, please." The guy kinda smiled, I paid ($6.75!) and then he goes, "enjoy the show..." in a kinda weird tone like, "ha ha ha ha, you're going to see Dread! It's SCARY!" I was like, "Uh. Thanks." And then I walked over to the door... where I suppose I was waiting for the door handles to appear...?

The ticket tearer guy opened the door for me, (what a strange place) and asked for my ticket. I gave it to him, "12 is on your right... don't get too scared." I was like, "um... thanks... I won't." *Mutters to self, "cuz I've already seen it before..."*

I go into the theater, practically skipping down the hall and it's empty. Yay! I have first pick on where to sit. Of course I choose the dead center. (Hah. Dead center. Get it? I made a joke.) A little while later one dude came in solo... then a couple... then the lights went down and I got a little sad that not many people were going to be there. As soon as I Twittered there were only 5 people in the theater, including myself, one last straggler came in. So six. Six people.

The movie didn't feature any previews, which I may have needed and I was looking forward to. (#lovespreviews) BOOM - There's his name. Jackson Rathbone. Top billing. In white, all caps. *beams with pride*

Now, since I had seen the film (twice) before, I wasn't expecting it to really move me as much as it did to see it on the big screen. Wow, I was mistaken, but I welcomed it. Of course some of the thoughts that went through my mind were, "you so get to see him tomorrow, Jodie! EEEP!" and then the always ever popular, "fuck my life, he's too talented."

To see the movie on the big screen was amazing. My only complaint about the art direction in the film is that it was too dark, contrast wise... there were times where I couldn't see features and facial expressions -- I understand the film was meant to be dark (in lighting terms) however, there are ways to make that happen and also be able to see how people are reacting on screen.

I got completely overwhelmed during some scenes... Jackson's talent spreads much further than the ability to deliver lines effortlessly and with feeling. His minor facial expressions absolutely floor me. He can convey so much in just a single look. When Abby asks him if she can show him something, instead of nodding or anything - he merely sits there, his eyes widen just slightly to show his interest in whatever it is, his head leaning in just a touch... I think so many actors overdo it to show their ability to act. While I'm always captivated when he's delivering his lines, it's when Jackson is not speaking that I am floored by him. He's very... aware of his being. That absolutely fascinates me.

Swiftly moving on... no need to give him more praise... *bows head slightly, knowing that everyone here thinks I'm completely bias...* At the end (which I won't give away for those who don't want to know it, but you can find it out by going to my previous Dread blog) I didn't cry. I held my breath, sure, but I didn't cry. The first time I saw it, I cried. Shock, perhaps... however, once it was "over" and I remembered the credits were coming I started to tear up - all the sudden I remembered that The Stevedores "Fearful" played at the end...

And then, the credits. Spencer's voice came through the theater and I beamed - my entire body resonated with happiness - I stayed until the end to see all The Stevedores names on the "thank you" list, taking in Spencer Bell's name.

I was proud. Proud of Jackson. Proud of The Stevedores. Proud of Spencer.

I *bounced* out of the theater and promptly called Willow, leaving her a voicemail about how I had forgotten The Stevedores song was at the end. :)

And now, here I sit... the DVD for Dread is being released March 23rd and will contain a commentary and a featurette - if you couldn't support the movie in theaters, whatever your reason may be, please do support it and go buy the DVD.

In closing, also please take a look at my previous blog from earlier today, my to do list (and other random shit) that will be updated throughout the day. :)

Pic of the Day:
Jackson on the set of Dread.

No comments: