Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Times Like These


"I just kinda died for you,
You just kinda stared at me..."

I thought to myself... "I don't want to blog again..." but I'm too bored to not blog again. I have nothing else to do. Now, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to think of anything to say...

...

...

...

...So I couldn't think of anything to say, so instead I'm going to do something I haven't done since I was in middle school. Song meanings... (err, to me...)

I'm going to do 50 songs from iTunes on random and say maybe what my favorite lyrics are, or what the song reminds me of... what it means to me... (Yes, I'm bored.)

1. Lithium, Nirvana -- reminds me of 7th grade when the boy who lived next door, Scott, let me borrow his Nirvana CD. He was a bit mentally unstable, but I sort of looked up to how punk rock he was.

2. Online Songs, Blink 182 -- One of my favorite Blink songs, actually. Mark sings, so of course I love it. So... I basically peed myself when I found out Blink was reuniting, and then I pooped myself when I found out they're touring this summer!

3. Love Her Madly, The Doors -- My favorite Doors song, and one of my favorite songs on the planet. The best part comes at exactly 2:22... turn it up loud...

4. New Deep, John Mayer -- this song reminds me of fall... most of his songs remind me of fall and fog. This wasn't one of my favorites when I got the CD, but I really love his voice on it. I love how everything is just play for him. "I'm so alive, I'm so enlightened, I can barely survive, a night in my mind, so I've got a plan, I'm gonna find out just how boring I am, and have a good time..."

5. Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love), JC Chasez -- remember, I'm not picking these!! LOL I hate this song... but I was super happy when it came out cuz I love JC as a singer/songwriter. I'm super depressed that he isn't currently pursuing that anymore. He's too talented for his own good, this song just sucks.

6. Dookie, Green Day -- everyone loves this song, which makes me want to hate it - but seeing it live was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. (Front row baby.)

7. Sober, Pink -- I love how raw her voice is in this song. I can relate to it on more than one level, as well. I definitely have a strong connection with this woman. I remember that I wrote her a fan letter after I bought her first album and she actually wrote back. I told her that her CD brought my mom and I closer together because we would listen to it in the car together and just sing... There are few people that I adore as much as I adore her.

8. Break The Same, Mute Math -- What an incredible song, what an incredible band. Mute Math is so progressive I think people are afraid of them being mainstream, they are the future of music. "And we all feed doubt, what a shame, when only tears know how to remind us we all break the same..." One of my favorite lyrics in history. If you're still new to them, listen to this song or click here to watch the worlds greatest music video.

9. Rockaway Life, Kenna feat Justin Timberlake -- Again, very progressive - everything about this song is incredible. I love Justin's chorus - the filter on his voice, Kenna's lyrics and the beat is just superb. There's not one favorite part of this song, it's all amazing.

10. Turn The Page, Bob Segar -- who doesn't love Segar? I'm sure what was meant for this song is for it to be eerie, mission accomplished. I'm not sure what this song reminds me of, but it's of my childhood. "here I am on the road again, there I am up on the stage, there I go, playin' the star again, there I go, turn the page..." I love it.

11. Please Mr. Postman, The Carpenters -- I love Karen, end of story.

12. Romeo & Juliet, Indigo Girls -- A cover from the Dire Straits song, I prefer this version, actually. Reminds me of spending summers with my Mama. "But I can't do the talk, like they talk on my TV screen, I can't do a love song, not the way you sung them to me, I can't do anything, but I would do anything for you, I can't do anything except be in love with you, now all I do is miss you, and the way we used to be, and all I do is keep the beat, I keep bad bad company..."

13. Ode To My Family, The Cranberries -- Another song that reminds me of my mother. This would be on my list of top 100 songs, definitely near the top. She's got such a beautiful, soothing voice. "do you see me, does anyone care, I thought happiness was when I was young and I didn't give a damn..."

14. Violet Hill, Coldplay --This song gives me deja vu, from the first time I heard it I swore up and down that I had heard it before. "if you love me, won't you let me know..." This song was only meant to be played one way: loud.

15. Gimme Stitches, Foo Fighters -- God, I love the Foo. I love Dave Grohl. Every time the Foo comes on in the car, I have to remind Jennifer who they are, which is just wrong. "I've always been the one who runs from everyone, cuz everyone's just too weird..." I tell her, "The Foo Fighters!!! Dave Grohl!! He was the drummer for NIRVANA!!!!!" This is on my top ten of Foo songs.

16. Desire, U2 -- Sometimes I think Bono is a little too self-riotous. I'm not too fond of this song...

17. Requiem, Mozart -- Odd knowledge about this masterpiece. It's very eerie when you know everything. It was Mozart's last piece and is one of his most popular and respected pieces. It's absolutely glorious and best enjoyed with headphones on, eyes closed.

18. Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne -- This is one of those songs that I know exactly what year it was released, 2004. Why do I know that? I was working at the radio station during that time and lord, all the songs that were popular during that time are hard for me to listen to them because I heard them so many times in one night for 5 nights a week for a whole year... This is one of those. It was once a good song.

19. Fix You, Coldplay -- Ooh, do I love this song. Ooh, do I love Coldplay. Chris wrote it for Gwenyth after her father died. Makes me cry... "tears come streaming down your face, when you lose something you can't replace..." If they ever get divorced, I'll be pissed.

20. Suspicious Minds, Elvis -- Jenn's favorite Elvis song, also a favorite of Ingram Hill, who loves to cover the song. I've never much cared for it, but it was awesome to see her go crazy at the 'Hill show when they played it.

21. You and I Both, Jason Mraz -- my favorite Mraz song. I'm a big fan of his actually. He's different from other singers. I really enjoy his lyrics and I love the hook in this song.

22. Tell Me Something I Don't Know, Selena Gomez -- Gah, I love this lil girl!! She's so adorable and talented! I was bored, nothing was on, so I watched "Another Cinderella Story" and had to download this song after, it's as catchy as can be. *loves*

23. Can't Stop, Maroon 5 -- Off their 2nd album, I wasn't particularly fond of the album as a whole when I first got it, but after a few spins I definitely loved it. (Never gonna love it as much as the first one.) "...and wake up making love to a pillow..." niiice, Adam. "...and I touch myself like it's somebody else, thoughts of you are tattooed on my mind, let me show you..." Wouldn't it be nice to be the woman he's hung up on?

24. Lie Detector, Mya -- Well, it's definitely a good idea. I love Mya's voice, it's so velvet and sexy.

25. Step by Step, NKOTB -- "step by step, raaaaaaaaah!" LOL that's all.

26. I Like Money, Millionaires -- These 3 chicks made this song on their Mac on Garage Band and it became a hit on myspace... Fuck me, that's a dream. "high heels, makeup, fake eyelashes - look at you, you're so damn plastic, acrylics on with orangey skin, that lipo really made you thin!" I love em!!! I can't wait for the Warped Tour!!!

27. Why Don't You Do Right (1942), Tommy Dorsey & Peggy Lee -- Reminds me of Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, one of the greatest movies of all time. I used to watch it tons as a kid. (I can hold out the note Jessica Rabbit does in the movie. *wink*)

28. Sunday Morning, Maroon 5 -- This song reminds me of seeing them open for John Mayer in Memphis/Jackson, MS. That was a pretty fun trip.

29. Please Don't Leave Me, Pink -- Her whole album has this raw awesome vocal styling. "I can be so mean when I wanna be, I am capable of really anything..." words from my life. Unfortunately, this song is me.

30. It's Been A While, Staind -- my perfect love song. I can listen to this on repeat for days. "it's been a while, since I've gone and fucked things up, like I always do, and it's been a while, but all that shit seems to disappear when I'm with you..." Best. Lyrics. Ever.

31. Faster Kill Pussycat, Paul Oakenfold feat Brittany Murphy -- She's got an incredible voice. I loved her singing "Nobody Does It Better" in Little Black Book. I wish she would release an album. Her voice is very unique.

32. Citadel, Anna Nalick -- Not my favorite Anna Nalick song, but I definitely love her. I felt so stupid, she's one year younger than me and when I first heard this song several years back I had to Google "citadel". LOL

33. Every You Every Me, Placebo -- I love Placebo. They are a fantastic, original band. "my heart's a tart, your body's rent, my body's broken, your's is bent..." If you haven't heard this song, listen to it now.

34. Crystal, Fleetwood Mac -- Fleetwood Mac is coming to Kansas City at the very beginning of May and I'm suicidal at the fact that I can't go. This song reminds me of running away... and of Heath. "then I knew, in the crystalline knowledge of you, that drove me through the mountains, through the crystal-like and clear water fountains, that drove me, like a magnet, to the sea..."

35. Waterfalls, TLC -- I once won a singing contest because I was the only person who could do Left-Eye's entire rap. TLC was my EVERYTHING in 6th grade. It wasn't until semi-recently that I realized this song was about AIDS.

36. Too Much, Spice Girls -- The Spice Girls were also my everything in 6th grade, along with Hanson. I desperately love this song.

37. Te Busque, Nelly Furtado -- when I first got her album, I listened to this song on repeat for about 5 days. I love the rhythm of the chorus, though I have no idea what it means. LOL "I've been too sad to speak, and too tired to eat, been to lonely to sing, devil cut off my wings..."

38. Dangerous, Roxette -- I remember having the bright blue cassette tape of this. This song is me in my mom's shady downtown apartment, playing this song on repeat.

39. Last To Know, Pink -- Someone hurt her bad. This was my repeat song for a couple weeks after Try This came out. "why was I the last to know that you weren't coming to my show, you coulda called me up to say good luck, you coulda called me back you stupid fuck..."

40. Live and Let Die, Paul McCartney -- Classic, of course. I am not sure why I love this song, I just do.

41. My Dad's Gone Crazy, Eminem -- I used to be obsessed with Eminem. I couldn't help it. I love this song... Favorite part is 1:50-2:32 ;-)

42. Edge of Seventeen, Stevie Knicks -- seriously... gonna... kill... myself... can't... go... to... show...

43. Starlight, Muse -- I. LOVE. MUSE. I wish I could marry their music. It's absolutely amazing. So progressive... Their lyrics are intense, profound and at times don't make sense, their music is absolutely ridiculous. "Far away, this ship is taking me far away, far away from the memories of the people who care if I live or die..." I could probably go on literally forever.

44. Beast of Burden, Rolling Stones -- my favorite Stones song. I used to hear it on the classic rock station all the time, then I downloaded it and now I never hear it. LOL "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, girls..."

45. I'll Be Your Lover Too, Van Morrison -- Van Morrison is an absolute legend, I adore his songs. This song is incredible romantic... "you'll be my queen, I'll be your king, and I'll be your lover, too..." (Psst... Van is Robert's favorite artist, and he does a killer cover of this song that makes me swoon...)

46. Could I Be You, Matchbox 20 -- I love them live, they are one of my favorite bands ever to go see. This is maybe my third favorite ballad from them. "Something is wrong, with the sun above us, that I can't seem to erase, how can I be the only one, without a smile on my face? You're laughing out loud, at just the thought of being alive, and I was wondering, could I just be you tonight?"

47. Purple Rain, Prince -- From now on, every time I hear Prince all I'll think of is the 30 minute bus ride from the Suncoast Hotel to the Strip the whole week we were in Vegas. One night... our final night, Jennifer and I got really drunk and went to the Strip alone and I was dancing on the bus knocking on the windows and blowing kisses to the passing cars... I did some naughty things that night... and they say what happens in Vegas... *wink* well, I didn't tell you everything, now did I?

48. You're My Best Friend, Queen -- who doesn't love Queen? Show me someone who doesn't love Queen and I'll show you someone I am going to have exported off of this planet. (Or at least this continent.) This is my song for Bella. :-) It reminds me purely of her.

49. I Feel So, Boxcar Racer -- my mad song. I play this loud, only... "Sometimes, I wish I was brave, I wish I was stronger, wish I could feel no pain, wish I was young, wish I was shy, wish I honest, wish I was you not I..."

50. By The Way, Chili Peppers -- I adore them as well... duh... this is not my favorite song by them, but one of. "daddy's little girl is singing songs to be beneath the marquee..."

That's a pretty decent list... and I killed a lot of time. I'm pretty proud of myself for not picking and selecting songs... those are really just what came up on iTunes. :-)

Which are your favorites on this list?

xoxox

Playlist, songs of the moment:

1. Aurora - Foo Fighters (Song of the day, up there...)
2. Little of your Time - Maroon 5 remix (Pretty freaking badass.)
3. Tired of You - Foo Fighters (I just listened to this for an hour straight.)
4. Dude (I Totally Miss You) Tencious D (I love Jack Black. I'll say it again... I LOVE JACK BLACK.)





Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was a pretty good list of songs. You have so many in so many different generas that everyone has to like a song on ur list.

I dont like Prince at all really but everytime we got in that bus i cant say i didnt have fun dancing all the way to the strip.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Ohh lemme see....

Sober.. fuck me i love this song soooooo much. SO much

Rockaway life, cos i saw kenna sing it when he opened for Justin :)) good memories

Nobodys home. i pretty much adore all the songs that was on that album. i played it for months on end.

Fix You... just cos i love coldplay.. and the video to this song

step by step... sweet sweet memories of a 10 year old! (about that age i think lol)

Purple rain.. my fave fave fave fave prince song. I love prince.. and when doves cry.. also like that one :)

Queen. any song of queen. absolutly ANYTHING. i adore them.

RHCP!!!!! fuck me life i love love love love

requiem.. yes yes and yes.

Gem x x x