Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Intimacy & Love








"Be your best friend, yeah, I'll love you forever, 
Up in the clouds, we'll be higher than ever... 
So happy I could die..." 

We all know that you can have sex with someone and not be in love with them, just like you can be in love with someone and not have sex with them. But here I sit and ponder where to find the perfect balance of intimacy and love.

I refuse to get too personal with this post, but I have many opinions on this matter, I have rarely shared my own personal experiences on the subject.

I suppose we don't all crave love, just like I suppose we don't all crave sex. It's safe to say that most of us crave the latter more intensely than we crave love. We look at random strangers on the street or musicians and actors in magazines and our fantasies begin to spin wildly in our minds. It's only natural for us to project like that.

I'm sure there are many, many out there who project with love and not sex. They look at those same strangers walking the street, the musicians and actors in the magazines and think of the beautiful home they could share together, they think of the wedding they would have and how they would love each other harder than anyone has ever loved before...

So where do we find this perfect balance? How can we have the perfect blend of intimacy and love? Is there such a love where the desire to be with each other will never fade? When you're truly in love, will your pheromones take over and you'll crave the touch of one another?

I'm either hopeful enough, or naive enough to say that, yes, I believe that. I do believe in the perfect balance... that some people are more suited for the long term than others and that there can be people who were just *MEANT* to be together.

You have stars.

From the moment that you are born there are certain things written in your stars that are destined to happen in your life. You take a screen shot of the stars from the date, time and place where you are born and you can learn more about that person than you ever imagined...

So if you were destined to go through all this pain in your childhood, if you were destined to have music in your life for these three particular reasons... then why can't you be destined to love someone? And with that destiny, if all your stars aligned... why couldn't you be destined to have incredible intimacy?

While my views on "God" and religion are shaky, I still believe and have faith in fate... sure, you can change your fate with every minute decision that you make, but eventually it's all fate...

People are put into your path for a reason. Things, events, changes... they all happen for a reason.

I have a lot that I must find out.

xx

2 comments:

Genn said...

This... *lowers my head* this is exactly the kind of thing I've been rolling around in my head for the last couple of days...well technically longer than that, but I digress.

More people confuse love and lust. Sex and Comfort. So few people honestly care enough to scratch below the surface and try to find something deeper than the gratification of the flesh. Not that there is anything wrong with lust mind you.
I could go forever without sex perhaps but not without love, or physical touch.
I crave both of those things intensely, and I am very well aware of love...not only love but how it is different from being in love.
In a completely different regard, but also relevant to your post, people tend to forget that celebrities are real people with real...figuratively speaking..."hearts", real emotions, real needs. They just happen to be able to do what they love for their career, and in front of the world. That's all.
Back to the subject at hand...
I too believe that once you really are in love with someone, that real, true, genuine, unconditional, love you forever kind of love that you always crave the other person.
The pheromones never wear off.
It's always exciting, always new.
Hopeless romantic or just hopeless. Call me what you will, I KNOW it exists.
Maybe not eternally for me, but for *some*.

Carina said...

Such a well written commentary on the topics of sex and love. I'm in the middle of figuring out exactly how I'd phrase it....what I believe. For now, Jodie, I like what you have to say. I do believe there is a balance.