Thursday, November 11, 2010

When I Grow Up...







Second blog for the day. I may as well do it if the urge strikes me, right? (That's what she said.)

I can't remember all the things that I wanted to be when I was a kid. I can't remember my dreams of wanting to be a flight attendant, teacher or a princess.

I remember in kindergarten that choir was mandatory and I was the only girl in class that looked forward to it. I remember hearing Whitney Houston's Bodygaurd soundtrack and I remember singing right into the speaker, emulating her... aching to do that... sing.

I didn't realize that it could actually be a career -- that you could potentially make your living off of singing. But from then on all I ever wanted to do was sing.

Around the time I was seven or so I started modeling. As I've mentioned before, my mother is a photographer and so it was a simple transition/decision.


















Of course, as I've mentioned before on other blogs and mediums, I wish that when I was that age that someone would have encouraged a healthy lifestyle for me. I wish that they would have told me just because I was the tallest girl in the class didn't mean that I was fat. Everyone in school called me fat... and thus, I became what it was that they saw of me.

If I could have made it through my teenage years without being fat then I could have continued with a successful modeling career... but... everything happens for a reason, right?

Now... I'm behind the camera versus in front of it.

Photography wasn't one of the things that I dreamed of doing when I was a child... but I suppose we rarely get our dreams. I did however, have a short lived music career and now I'm happy to be in a band with my best friend Micky called The Oh Noz!, it makes me so happy to be getting musically creative again. They say that a photo is worth a thousand words, but I think where you can't get something across in photography you can get across in music and vice versa.

What was it that you wanted to be as a child? What stopped you? Why aren't you going for your dreams now?

5 comments:

amanda said...

1st grade, astronaut. And I wasn't deterred even after watching the Challenger shuttle explosion...but higher level math nipped it in the bud. :( so, now I'm a nurse. :) and back in school.

there. I've commented. Was it everything you ever dreamed of? :)

Jade said...

I always wanted to be a singer, but got more attention as a writer. As the new kid in kindergarten I had this fantasy of jumping up from my desk in the middle of class and running up the aisles singing "St. Elmo's Fire."

Oh my god I can't believe I just told you that.

Melissa said...

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a singer. Even before I knew you could make a career out of it. I've always wanted to be someone everyone loved to watch perform and looked up to. I wanted to be famous when I was younger. Then school happened, and bullies happened, and I started feeling like I wasn't good enough, thin enough, pretty enough for anything so I sang in private for my family, mainly my dad. Then my dad died and I stopped singing altogether. It took me years to get my voice back... I think i've finally found it again :) We shall see how this works out now that I don't care if people think I'm not "thin enough" or "pretty enough"

Katt Woolf said...

The number of things I've wanted to do with my adult life and pursued and then left in the wind are ridiculous. I wanted to be a Veterinarian from pre-K til high school and even went to a special high school for it. Got to high school and decided I wanted to be a mechanic and went into ag-mechanics, wanted to be a chef so I went into food service. Wanted to be a makeup artist so I started studying makeup. Wanted to be a professor and went to college for it. Now I want to be a nurse so I'm planning my schooling for that. But I have to say, if I could truly do anything, throw away all my inhibitions, it would be perform. I'm in love with dancing and singing and music, never thought I was good enough to pursue it, but it still strikes passion in my heart. There was one thing that I always wanted to be when I was little that I actually achieved. I always wanted to be a house wife. I wanted a husband to cook for and a home to clean. As you always say, be careful what you wish for. *cleans up dirty socks around the apartment* LOL. =)

Unknown said...

I first wanted to be a fighter pilot, but realized that someone with my eyesight would never be allowed in a cockpit. Then I wanted to be a veterinarian, but everyone including my teachers said I would never get into vet school. So I decided to go with my other passion, art. Turns out, though I have great love and appreciation for art and artists of all kinds, my own talent is marginal! So I decided to go ahead and make a go of vet school. I got in on my first try and have been a practicing veterinarian for 8 years. Lesson learned, never let someone tell you that you can't do something!