Monday, March 7, 2011

Pop Into My Head


"Time heals the wounds but then there's still a scar."




It's been a busy bit of time for me lately, so I apologize for the lack in update. Isn't that stupid that I feel I must apologize to my blog for lack of update? Yeah, that's dumb.

In the time from last we've spoken I made a book. (Read about it here: www.jodieplatzphotography.com - I'm a dot com now!!!!)

I just actually released it to the printers today and I should have my copies ready to autograph and ship out by next week. This book was an amazing and heartfelt process - however, the purchase part really threw me for a loop.

I've said time and time again that I don't want to be friends with people who only care about me for the art that I create - to that I had friends that told me they don't "care" about the art I create, that they love *me*... to that I felt... well... loved. :) That was the point, right?

Except my book was released and no one I talk to on a daily basis (or even weekly basis) bought one. Now, just because you're my friend doesn't make that an obligation by any means. It just kind of shocked me that NONE of them bought one. (And only one or two of them even said "congrats" or "I'm proud of you".) It's really making me question some things.

You know what? I'm not going to bitch here or start anything... that's not the point of this. I am so very HAPPY that fans and strangers bought my book!! These are people who don't have any knowledge of what I'm like behind closed doors and yet they want to own a piece of me... that's absolutely amazing and I am so entirely grateful for each and every sale that I made.

Speaking of sales, I want everyone to know that this book was not made so I could turn a profit. It was made because I loved it and I felt like it was a good time to release it and share it with the world. I wanted something hard and concrete to hand my fans of my photography. Something to warm your coffee table. ;) I honestly made an embarrassingly small amount off the book.

For me, art has never been about money. Would I like to make a profit off of what I'm good at creatively? Yes. I would appreciate that. However, I feel so guilty taking money from people when I feel so good about doing it.

I need to perhaps change that, though... just thinking aloud here... don't mind me.

My desktop countdown tells me its 15 days until I see The Bens again. :) This makes me super happy. [censored message about ATX SBL just a few days after that...] and then we're going to Dallas to see Mechanical People again. I can't wait to see Jake! :)

...speaking of Mechanical People... I ordered their CD set and I think they may have gotten smashed and went to Canada and forgot to send it. (I say that precisely as the mail man pulls up... hah!)

I've been listening to a lot of Frank Sinatra lately. <3

I hope to get a new camera here in a month or so...

...also need a new computer...

There's not enough money in the world. Seriously. :-/ Another reason I should start charging for my services.

Mail trucks look so disorganized... but somehow they usually deliver all the mail... heh.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic about your book. That experience may help you get your foot into the door in a gallery for a showing! Be sure and keep any positive feedback/reviews that you get so that you can provide them to curators at galleries! Congratulations!

CassLynn

Lara said...

I'm a professional photographer and I can tell you don't know shit about photography. No offense.
You'd be better off with buying some quality lenses instead of a new camera (and instead of that crap you're using).
A camera can be the fuck expensive - it's no use at all when the lenses suck and the photographer's skills are merely average.
So if you want to spend money - buy some quality lenses, then go and improve your knowledge and skills.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your feedback, Lara! Next time tell me something I don't know. ;)

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit. I hope that funsucker is a friend of yours just being quirky. If not...wow. You don't have to post this of course. Just wanted to respond!

CassLynn

Unknown said...

They're not a friend of mine. So... yeah... I actually get a lot of fuckerrrrs who try to bring me down with nasty words. Hey, art is subjective... as a "professional photographer" she should know that.

I'm quite aware that I need new lenses. I'm quite aware of a lot of things.

It's like someone walking up to me and telling me I'm fat when I have just gotten on the scale that morning... "thank you very much, sir! I'm glad that you noticed. Now what the fuck are you telling me for?!!"

:)

You've brightened my day, CassLynn.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your book, my dear. I don't know shit about photography but I adore yours and I think you are wonderful.
A wonderful human being first and photographer second.
Keep up the good work :)

Cherilyn said...

I was just about to respond that Austin is gonna kill me financially and that I will eventually buy your book--then I saw that hateful comment. wtf?!!! I'm sorry, I'm just very defensive of people I like. Maybe they should share some of their work since they seem to be the expert. (sorry, my blood pressure actually went up and I'm pretty sure smoke is coming out my ears) Obviously they don't know you're a growing photographer, pretty much self taught, and you're doing a great job.
Anyway...don't beat yourself up about feeling a bit hurt when peeps didn't buy your book. Go easy on yourself girl, we all tend to be our biggest critics. carry on the good fight! I think you're doing a great job!
(you can delete my comment too if you think it will cause trouble if that person reads this)